Friday, April 19, 2013

Rain Dance

So, here is a short story I wrote for a group I'm part of on Goodreads (which is a pretty neat place for book lovers, so if you haven't checked it out, you should). This is a short, romantic story that was based on a picture, but I couldn't find the picture to put with the story . . .  anyway, this is only 500-some words so enjoy it in one sitting!



I hug my shoulders and face the wind, letting it fling my hair in dancing auburn curls behind me. The thin silk of my night robe billows and tangles around me.

The wind tastes of thunder and lightning. It carries the promise of rain. I love storms in the summertime. They are wild and free, untamed and unmarred by the passing of time--like magic and love. Their presence refreshes the land and brings life back to the withering plants. It is a beautiful thing.

Standing here on this balcony, I can see the brewing storm on the darkening horizon. The wind is strong and it beats against me, washing against the castle in which I stand like the waves of an angry sea.

A flash of lightning streaks across the sky, followed by a roar of thunder. Storms are also dangerous. Beautiful and dangerous--like everything I love most.

I am not scared as the rain reaches me in a rush of icy droplets. I relish the feel of the cool water running down my skin. Closing my eyes, I tilt my chin toward the sky.

"Naih?"

I turn toward his voice, blinking against the rain, "Come out here Khan." I smile at him, putting aside the worry written on his handsome face. He vanishes behind the curtain to the balcony, appearing a moment later.

"What are you doing out here?" He pulls me close, wrapping his arms around me.

I feel warm from inside out, "I'm enjoying the weather." I smile up at his face. The wind and rain has put his dark hair into disarray, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to the mess I must look like.

He chuckles, bending to touch his nose to mine, "What will the people say? 'The king has married a crazy woman, who stands outside during thunder storms'?"

"Oh, I think they already know I'm crazy," I lean into him, reaching up to briefly touch my lips to his. "After all, I married their King."

He smiles, smoothing soaked strands of hair off my face. His fingers linger against my cheek, "You are chilled to the bone, my Queen."

"I don't care," my soul is warm, deep inside where contentment and joy mingle. I take his hands and step away from him, drawing him forward. "Shall we dance, your Majesty?"

"In the rain?" His eyes sparkle with the grin tugging at the corners of his lips. My heart does a little flip.

I almost forget to breathe as I meet his warm gaze. He always has this affect on me. "Yes, right here, in the rain."

His laughter makes me smile, and soon I'm laughing with him as I spin around and around in the arms of the one I love. So we dance in the rain, under the stormy sky, spinning with the wind, and swaying in the rain. It's a beautiful thing.

© Copyright Charity K, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment