Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Writer's Block

I'm sure anyone who has sat down to write a paper of any kind has experienced  trouble getting the words to come, from being unable to express your thoughts to complete loss of any relevant ideas, we all have suffered some form of the notorious "writer's block".

How do I conquer it? I've compiled a list of  ideas that help me out.

1. Just write. Stop being lazy.
Sometimes it just boils down to sitting yourself down and forcing yourself to write. Let's face it, we all can be pretty lazy!

2. Look at pictures.
This idea helps me out quite a bit. In fact, I have an entire board on Pinterest just as a place to go when I need some inspiration (granted, I probably waste too much time finding and pinning these pictures, but let's not go there). Most of the short stories I write are based on pictures--from landscapes, to faces, medieval castles and abandoned asylums, pictures can feed the imagination in amazing ways.

3. Read.
Don't forget to read during all of your writing! This, I believe, is the best way for writers to grow. Try all kinds of different styles of writing--grab a young adult dystopian novel, visit some of Charles Dickens' masterpieces, take a walk in one of Edgar Allan Poe's dark tales, try out a mystery or a "choose your adventure" novel. There's a world of words out there--all of which will help ignite your creativity and broaden your perspective.

4. Take a walk.
So, this might be a bit cliche, but sometimes getting out in nature and simply relaxing will help clear your head and get your creativity going again. Take a deep breath, enjoy some sunshine and birdsong, then go write!

5. Put away social media, TV, cellphone, etc.
This one is a no-brainer. Entertainment--at least most of the time--kills creativity. It turns your brain off and tells you not to think. Set aside 24 hours (or if you can't go that long, at least half a day) and choose to avoid the internet, television, and using your cellphone. Fewer distractions mean more writing.

6. Find your "quiet spot"
At my grandparent's farm in Indiana, they have a large field centered with a single tree on the grassy rise. This tree has a particular branch with a perfect crook in it just right for perching in to read or write--I would call this my "quiet spot". It's probably my favorite spot on planet earth (besides the back of my horse, perhaps). Now, I doubt many people prefer to sit in a tree or pen their novel while on horseback, but I think you see my point. Find a place where you are comfortable, can relax and limit distractions, then dedicate that spot for pursuing creativity! Believe me, it works.

7. Change up the perspective.
While working on a story, I often find it helpful to do what I refer to as "character building exercises" and write your story from a different perspective. What do I mean? If you are writing from third person, try writing a section in first person. Take a scene and write it from the perspective of something else--an inanimate object, an otherwise forgotten onlooker, or a different character. I find this sort of exercise helps me get through spots that I get really stuck on.

I hope these tips can help you if you're ever stuck! Whatever you're working on, stick with it and always look for ways to improve and expand your writing! Good luck :)

1 comment:

  1. Great tips. I like the take a walk one best ! ;) I think you need to find another tree.

    ReplyDelete